This is an analysis of the poem The Nightingale that begins with:
WHEN the moon a golden-pale
Lustre on my casement flings,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abab bcbc bXbd XcXc efef gdgd baba hihi gjgjXacac
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,9,
- Closest metre: trochaic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: shakespearean sonnet
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1010101 10111001 1010100 0010101 1010101 1000101 1011111 1011111 10011101 1011100 1110111 1010001 111001010 1010001 0010111 1110101 1111101 0010111 1011101 1111001 1110101 1010111 1010001 1110101 1110111 0110101 10110110 1010100 1011111 1110111 0010111 1111111 1010111 1111111 1110011 1011111 1011101 1011101 1011100 1110100
- Amount of stanzas: 10
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 129
- Average number of words per stanza: 23
- Amount of lines: 40
- Average number of symbols per line: 32 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and is repeated.
The author used the same word and at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Nightingale;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Victor James Daley
- Analysis of The Old Wife And The New
- Analysis of The Rajah’s Sapphires
- Analysis of The Serpent's Legacy