This is an analysis of the poem The Young Captive that begins with:
The budding shoot ripens unharmed by the scythe,
Without fear of the press, on vine branches lithe,...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aXbc cbaabddbeefggfbbhhhhXXieeiiigeegbbehheddjggjffekke X
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,50,1,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 01011001101 01100111101 101101101 111110111010 110111010110 11011011 101101011011 111111001111 11101011 011110111101 01001111111 11011001 01001001111 01001001101 01101111 101001001001 111110101001 110011001 11101111011 11111011001 01001101 11011011011 11001011001 11001011 010110111011 001111001101 01011011 101001111011 1111101101 0010111001 111000101011 010010101110 01101011 101001001011 11101001011 111101001 1111111101 11101101001 11111101 11111001001 0110101011 11101011 010011101011 011011111001 111001001 1110110001011 101101011011 11011011 101011001001 11001001001 010111010 11101001001 1111101011 110011010 110101010010
- Amount of stanzas: 3
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 845
- Average number of words per stanza: 155
- Amount of lines: 55
- Average number of symbols per line: 45 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; i, of, my, and, her are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words i, the, so, my, and are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Young Captive;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.