This is an analysis of the poem To Mr. Addison On His Tragedy Of Cato that begins with:
Too long hath love engross'd Britannia's stage,
And sunk to softness all our tragic rage: ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbccddee XXcceeffcc eebbccddff aaccccggdd XcfXcc
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 10,10,10,10,6,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 1111011001 1101011101 11010100111 1101010111 01010101001 0111110101 1101011011 1011010101 01001110101 1111011111 11110100101 11010111100 1111010101 01010010001 11011100101 0101010101 011110101 0101010101 1111110101 1101110101 0101110101 1011101101 0101010101 110010101001 0111011101 1011111101 1111010101 1101110101 11110011111 1111010101 1111110001 1111000101 10011110101 0101011101 1111010111 1111011101 11010100101 1101000111 01001010101 1101011101 0111111110 11001110101 1111111101 01010101010 1111111101 1101011111
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 422
- Average number of words per stanza: 73
- Amount of lines: 46
- Average number of symbols per line: 45 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; our, his, and, to, each are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word we is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of To Mr. Addison On His Tragedy Of Cato;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.