This is an analysis of the poem Dear Pretty Youth that begins with:
Dear pretty youth, unveil your eyes,
How can you sleep when I am by?... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: Xaaabbcc
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 11010111 11111111 01011100 10110101 01111111 11110101 10011111011 01111111
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 285
- Average number of words per stanza: 61
- Amount of lines: 8
- Average number of symbols per line: 35 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; i, you are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Dear Pretty Youth;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.