This is an analysis of the poem A Dream Of Hell that begins with:
Last night I dreamt I was in hell;
In waking dread I dream it yet;...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abba cbbc deed bffX ghhg dddd eaae ibbi cggc ciic jccj
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: enclosed rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 11111101 01011101 11011101 110100001 110111011 10011101 11011101 01010101 11110110 011101011 01000101 01010101 01011111 11010101 110101001 01110101 11111111 10011101 01100111 11011101 10101111 01010101 11110101 01011111 111100111 001101001 01100101 11111111 01010111 01011101 010011101 01011001 0100100111 11111111 01001111 10010101 11101101 10011101 10011011 11010101 11111111 11110111 110010111 11011111
- Amount of stanzas: 11
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 142
- Average number of words per stanza: 27
- Amount of lines: 44
- Average number of symbols per line: 35 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; i, and, in, no, by are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words in, buried are repeated.
The author used the same word i at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of A Dream Of Hell;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.