This is an analysis of the poem Epitaph On A Child that begins with:
Here, freed from pain, secure from misery, lies
A child, the darling of his parents' eyes:... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbcc
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 6,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 11010101001 0101000101 0101110101 01010010101 1001010001 1111010101
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 261
- Average number of words per stanza: 49
- Amount of lines: 6
- Average number of symbols per line: 43 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Epitaph On A Child;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Thomas Gray
- Analysis of If I Should Die
- Analysis of Ode On The Pleasure Arising From Vicissitude
- Analysis of The Curse Upon Edward