This is an analysis of the poem Art Thou Poor that begins with:
Art thou poor, yet hast thou golden slumbers?
O sweet content!... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: XAaAabACCX dAbAbdACCX bbEFFggEFF
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 10,10,10,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rondeau rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1111111010 1110 111101101 1100 111011111 01010101010 1110111110 101010101 101110101 11101011010 11010001001 1110 1101110111 1100 1111001101 1101100101 1110111110 101010101 101110101 11101011010 1010111 1011111 11010111 11010101 1010101 10101111 11111111 11010111 11010101 1010101
- Amount of stanzas: 3
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 377
- Average number of words per stanza: 62
- Amount of lines: 30
- Average number of symbols per line: 37 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; thou, apace, to, sweet, o, nonny, you, care are repeated.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines lullaby, you are repeated).
The poet repeated the same word nonny at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase you connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Art Thou Poor;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.