This is an analysis of the poem Not Understood that begins with:
Not understood, we move along asunder;
Our paths grow wider as the seasons creep ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababC dedeC fgfgC fhfhC ijijC kekeCXaeaec
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 5,5,5,5,5,11,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 11011101010 1111010101 01001101110 1101111101 1101 11011101010 1101010011 11010101010 1111111111 1101 11011101010 1101001101 01010111010 1101111101 1101 110101001010 1101010101 11010011010 1111011101 1101 11011101011 0101010101 01100101011 1111110101 1101 11011101110 1101001111 11010101110 1101010101 1101 11111101010 1111011101 11111101010 01010100101 1101
- Amount of stanzas: 7
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 203
- Average number of words per stanza: 32
- Amount of lines: 35
- Average number of symbols per line: 40 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; we, and are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words not, how are repeated.
The author used the same word not at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The poet repeated the same word understood at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Not Understood;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.