This is an analysis of the poem New York that begins with:
But see! the broadening river deeper flows,
Its tribute floods intent to reach the sea,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababXabaa cdcXdedee
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 9,9,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 11010010101 0101010101 1001010111 01001111111 1101010100 01110101010 1101110111 11010101001 0101011011010 110100001001 11000111001 0111110101 1111010111 11011100111 1001011111 0101010101 0101010011 101111011101
- Amount of stanzas: 2
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 415
- Average number of words per stanza: 71
- Amount of lines: 18
- Average number of symbols per line: 45 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of New York;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.