This is an analysis of the poem Doubt that begins with:
WHO but has seen
Once in his life, when youth and health ran high,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abXbacdc Xecedafa Xfafadfd dgdgfdXd cafaahdh
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,8,8,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1111 1001111111 011101 11001 1111 1101110100 1111011101 010101 01010 1101000111 1100101 1111 1111 1111010101 1101001101 100111 1010 0101010111 110101 0111 1011 1001010101 1101010111 1111011 0111 1111110111 110101 1101 1111 1011000101 1001010001 011111 1111 1011011001 110111 1111 1111 1101010101 1101010111 010101
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 239
- Average number of words per stanza: 46
- Amount of lines: 40
- Average number of symbols per line: 29 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, its are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words when, are, and are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Doubt;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.