This is an analysis of the poem The Splendid Spur that begins with:
NOT on the neck of prince or hound
Nor on a woman’s finger twin’d, ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aXaabbcc dedeffaa XgXgaacc
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 11010111 11010101 11000101 11011101 1001 0101 11011101 11010111 01010101 110100101 001011001 11010101 1101 1001 01001111 11010101 10101110 11100101 110101001 11000101 0101 0111 10011111 11010101
- Amount of stanzas: 3
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 277
- Average number of words per stanza: 48
- Amount of lines: 24
- Average number of symbols per line: 34 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Splendid Spur;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.