This is an analysis of the poem Sick Leave that begins with:
When I’m asleep, dreaming and lulled and warm,—
They come, the homeless ones, the noiseless dead. ...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababbcbcXcbcb
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 13,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 1101101111 11010101001 1011010001 1011110101 10011100111 1100111111 11110111010 01001111001 01010101100 1101010101 1100010001 1111010001 1111110111
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 591
- Average number of words per stanza: 107
- Amount of lines: 13
- Average number of symbols per line: 45 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The speaker asks many questions. Perhaps, he or she is in confusion.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Sick Leave;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.