This is an analysis of the poem Polly In A Porny that begins with:
Haha I kissed Polly goodnight haha as we stood at her front door
Now she's quite a proper lady so I didn't ask for anything more...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aaXX bbccdeXeXdccc
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,13,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 10111011101111011 111010101110111011 110111011111110010 1111111111 11100010110101 1110001011011101 111101111101110100001 1110001000101110111 1110011111110111 111100101001111010 11110011110110101 11110111011 111100010111101 10010110101011100111 111111011111011010001 111000100010101010101 1111011101
- Amount of stanzas: 2
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 517
- Average number of words per stanza: 111
- Amount of lines: 17
- Average number of symbols per line: 60 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 13
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; i, haha, polly, in, porny, saw, no, she, oh are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words i, oh are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Polly In A Porny;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Shel Silverstein
- Analysis of Come After Jinny
- Analysis of On The Way To The Bottom
- Analysis of Pathetic Way Of Getting Over Me