This is an analysis of the poem Dreadful that begins with:
Someone ate the baby.
It's rather sad to say....
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: AbAbbbXA AcAcddXA AeAefffa
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 111010 010101 111010 1110101 11010101 11010101 11010101 111010 111010 010101 111010 0010001 11010111 11010101 1110101 111010 111010 1010101 111010 1110101 01010101 001010101 11010101 11111010
- Amount of stanzas: 3
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 223
- Average number of words per stanza: 44
- Amount of lines: 24
- Average number of symbols per line: 27 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 5
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; baby is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words someone, we'll are repeated.
The author used the same word someone at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines baby is repeated).
The poet repeated the same word baby at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Dreadful;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.