This is an analysis of the poem The West that begins with:
When the world of waters was parted by the stroke of a mighty rod,
Her eyes were first of the lands of earth to look on the face of God;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aaaabbbb aaccbbcc ccbbccXb ddaaeeff ggaaaahh iibbjjbX aaffaakk
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,8,8,8,8,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: limerick
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 10101011010100101 0101001010110101 0111110010100101 1100100111100101 111111100000100101 0100101010100101 0100111011010110 1010011100111010 11101110110111 1011100101111101 11111110111101 1110001010100111 111011111111101 11010111110111 1101100101101001 11111001010111101 11110010100111101 101100101101001 11110110111111 111011100111101 0010110101100101 110101000110101 101110110010100 111011101100101 10101010001001 10111101100101 010011100100101 110011101101001 11111010110101 111011101100101 101111011010101 1101011000100111 11010101110101 11111010011100101 10010110101101 0010100101011101 01001010011011011 1010010100110111 1010111101110101 11110010111101 0100011001100101 001011011011101001 1110011101110101 111101111111101 110111101110101 01101010111010111 100111001011011 100100101100111 1110100111100101 111010101011101 11111010100101 11001010101001001 10010101100101 0110100101001 10101101010100101 11011101011001101
- Amount of stanzas: 7
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 566
- Average number of words per stanza: 100
- Amount of lines: 56
- Average number of symbols per line: 70 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 13
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of, her, and, his, she, as, calling, my, for are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word and is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The West;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.