This is an analysis of the poem Follower that begins with:
My father worked with a horse-plough,
His shoulders globed like a full sail strung...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abcb bdbd efeX dede agcgXbfbf
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,9,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 11010011 0101010111 01011010 01110101 11011101 11011101 011100110 101000101 01010111 11000101 10110101 10010010 11000111 10110101 01111101 10110001 11001111 01111011 11100110 00111101 110101010 1011101 0011011100 011101101
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 139
- Average number of words per stanza: 26
- Amount of lines: 24
- Average number of symbols per line: 34 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; his is repeated.
The author used the same word i at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Follower;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.