This is an analysis of the poem By The Sea that begins with:
Beside an ebbing northern sea
While stars awaken one by one, ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aba cXc ddd ebe ded fXf gegXaea
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 3,3,3,3,3,3,7,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: shakespearean sonnet
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 01110101 11010111 11010111 11101101 11110101 01110101 01110011 11010101 11110101 01010001 11111101 11111101 01110101 110100111 10000111 110100111 11111101 11000111 10111111 01010101 11111101 101101001 11110101 011101
- Amount of stanzas: 8
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 99
- Average number of words per stanza: 20
- Amount of lines: 24
- Average number of symbols per line: 32 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; he, my are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word he is repeated.
The author used the same word what at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase he connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of By The Sea;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.