This is an analysis of the poem Human Life that begins with:
If dead, we cease to be ; if total gloom
Swallow up life's brief flash for aye, we fare... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababcdcXefXeffdeedXggehgghiii
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 29,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: shakespearean sonnet
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 0111000101 1011111111 1101010111 1111010101 1111010001 0101110111 01001110111 1111010010 1111010100 1001010100 1111111101 0101010101 1101011100 1100100100 01011100011 1111101111 0101110111 1101110001 10010101100 1101011100 1111010101 11111101010 1001010101 1101111111 1111110101 11011011001 0101010111 1111011111 1101001010
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 1341
- Average number of words per stanza: 221
- Amount of lines: 29
- Average number of symbols per line: 45 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; thy, be, thou are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word why is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Human Life;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.