This is an analysis of the poem Puritans - (From Hudibras) that begins with:
Our brethren of New England use
Choice malefactors to excuse,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbccadcceeXffadggbbehhbX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 26,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 11001101 11010001 11010011 01010111 11010001 11010111 11010111 11111111 01010101 01011100 11010111 01111101 01010000 01010001 01111101 01010001 01110011 111101010 0001110010 111000101 111111001 011100010 0100011101 010011101 010100010 111101110
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 891
- Average number of words per stanza: 164
- Amount of lines: 26
- Average number of symbols per line: 33 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; as is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Puritans - (From Hudibras);
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Samuel Butler
- Analysis of Sonnets On Miss Savage
- Analysis of Hudibras: Part 1 - Canto I
- Analysis of The Metaphysical Sectarian