This is an analysis of the poem Thorkild’s Song that begins with:
There´s no wind along these seas,
Out oars for Stavanger!... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aXXAXX bXbX cc Xd ee ff ee bb dd aXAX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 6,4,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,4,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: no rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 10110111 111100 1011100 11110111 111100 0111100 11010111 0111100 11110111 0111100 11110111 11111101 11110111 101110101 110010111 01011101 110000101 01011101 01011111 11110111 11111111 11011101 11011111 0100010101 110111111 0111100 11110111 0111100
- Amount of stanzas: 10
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 95
- Average number of words per stanza: 19
- Amount of lines: 28
- Average number of symbols per line: 33 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; for, stavanger, she, to, us are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word send is repeated.
The author used the same word she at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines stavanger is repeated).
The poet repeated the same word stavanger at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Thorkild’s Song;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.