This is an analysis of the poem The Wet Litany that begins with:
When the waters' countenance
Blurs 'twixt glance and second glance;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aaXbccDE acffgg ggcaaa bbhhaa ffbbXfDE
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,6,6,6,8,
- Closest metre: trochaic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: limerick
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1010100 1111101 11101100 10101001 1010001 1011101 1010111 1001010 1011101 1010101 1010101 1010101 10010001 1111011 10111001 1110101 1010101 1010101 1110101 1001100 1001101 1000101 1110111 0010100 1011100 1011101 1010101 1011101 1010101 1010101 10101000 1111111 1010111 1001010
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 208
- Average number of words per stanza: 34
- Amount of lines: 34
- Average number of symbols per line: 30 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 5
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; when, her are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word when is repeated.
The author used the same word when at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Wet Litany;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.