This is an analysis of the poem The Female Of The Species that begins with:
When the Himalayan peasant meets the he-bear in his pride,
He shouts to scare the monster who will often turn aside.... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabB ccbB XXbB ddbb eeff gghh iibb ffeh ffii eeaa hhXX XXeeXiibb
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,9,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 101010101011001 11010101010101 101110101010111 101100100110101 11011101010101 100110111010011 101111101110101 101100100110101 1010100101010110 11000100010001 10101010011101011 101100100110101 11010100011111 101011110000101 111010101010101 01100100110101 101010101110101 110010101010101 101001101010001 001000100010101 111001011110101 001110101000101 101010101110101 101001100010001 1010111110010001 101111101110101 101110101010101 011001010100101 111011101110101 111011101111111 101010101010101 101011110111101 1111101010101101 101000101010001 111111101110101 01111100010001 101000100010101 001010101011101 101110101010111 1001100101011111 101110101010111 111011101010101 101010000111001 10101001010100001 101110101110001 001010101110110 111011101100101 011001101110101 1110101010101111 1011111011011011 111011111010101 101100100110101
- Amount of stanzas: 13
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 247
- Average number of words per stanza: 45
- Amount of lines: 52
- Average number of symbols per line: 61 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 11
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; man, to, not, and, her, that, him, knows are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words man, she are repeated.
The author used the same words when, she at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines him is repeated).
The poet repeated the same word male at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Female Of The Species;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.