This is an analysis of the poem That Day that begins with:
It got beyond all orders an' it got beyond all 'ope;
It got to shammin' wounded an' retirin' from the 'alt.... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: XXaX bCdC edeX aeae fcfc cdcd dddd gegeXbCdC
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,9,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 01011101010111 01010101100001 11001101010101 00101011111 111110101 1111101 111111111110 1111111 111110101110101 101000101111001 1111010101010111 11111001111 111011101011101 111011101011001 11010111111111 1111111101 1101101111111 111111100110101 111010101110111 11111011011 111010101110101 11111101010101 101011100110111 10101111011 111011101110100 11010100110101 110010101111101 11101110111 01010101110101 111010101010001 11111010110101 11111110101 111110101 1111101 111111111110 1111111
- Amount of stanzas: 9
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 214
- Average number of words per stanza: 42
- Amount of lines: 36
- Average number of symbols per line: 53 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 11
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; it, got, an', i, we are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words it, an', we are repeated.
The author used the same word we at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of That Day;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.