This is an analysis of the poem Sea-Wife that begins with:
There dwells a wife by the Northern Gate,
And a wealthy wife is she;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abcb defe eXag Xbcb Chch cici ccic fdfd gchc dhXh ajkjXkgCg
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,9,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 110110101 1010101 11011101 110101 11110110 110111 111100101 110111 11111111 111111 110100110 1100101 110100110 010101 11011101 110101 00111101 0100011 1010111101 0011101 10101111001 111101 1011111111 0010101 11110101 1100111 11111101111 1111101 1101100101 11011010 110100101 1101010 010101001 110111 11111101 011110 101111010 100101 00100111 110101 11011101 110101 1110100101 110111 11110101 010101 00111101 1010111
- Amount of stanzas: 12
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 133
- Average number of words per stanza: 27
- Amount of lines: 48
- Average number of symbols per line: 33 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, or, men, they, to, home are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words and, the are repeated.
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase she connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Sea-Wife;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.