This is an analysis of the poem My Rival that begins with:
I go to concert, party, ball --
What profit is in these?... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababcdDd XbXbeddd Xfbfeddd gcccbdDd dXdbhXed XXghddddXgbgbeddd
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,8,8,17,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: shakespearean sonnet
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 11010101 110001 11010101 110111 00110111 110101 11010101 110101 11011101 110111 11001101 101011 11011110 111111 01111101 011101 11110101 111111 11010101 110101 01011101 0110011 11010101 110101 01110111 111111 11011101 110101 11010101 110111 11010101 110101 11010101 11010011000 11010101 11001110 11011111 110110 0101111 110101 11110001001100 11001010 01110111 111001 11010101 10010101 11010101 110101 11011101 110101 11110101 110111 11010111 011111 11110101 111101
- Amount of stanzas: 7
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 247
- Average number of words per stanza: 46
- Amount of lines: 56
- Average number of symbols per line: 30 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; my, i, to are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words and, i, they, she are repeated.
The author used the same words i, she at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The poet repeated the same word nine at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of My Rival;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.