This is an analysis of the poem An American that begins with:
The American Spirit speaks:
... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: a bcbX dede fgfg eheh iXie dede fjfj aaaa fcXk flfl mXmk aeae dedeXeded
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 1,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,9,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 00100101 1001101001 10101001 11111111 111011000 11011101 11010101 10010101 11010101 01000111 01000111 11000001 11010101 01010111 01010101 11111101 111100101 11111111 11010111 10110111 11010101 1111111 11010101 01110101 110101101 11010111 11010111 01010001 111101001 11110111 11110111 11110111 01011111 11110111 11010101 11010010 110100010 01011100 01010101 11110101 01000101 11110111 11110101 010101001 11010100 11010101 11100111 11010101 10010101 01010001 111010111 01010101 11010011 1100011 01010001 10010101 11111101
- Amount of stanzas: 15
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 134
- Average number of words per stanza: 24
- Amount of lines: 58
- Average number of symbols per line: 34 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, that, bids, him are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words he, the, or, that are repeated.
The author used the same word that at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of An American;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.