This is an analysis of the poem The Pines that begins with:
We sleep in the sleep of ages, the bleak, barbarian pines;
The gray moss drapes us like sages, and closer we lock our lines,...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aaa bbb ccc ddd eee fff ggg ggXXccc
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 3,3,3,3,3,3,3,7,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 110010100101001 011111101101111 11011101011100111 1010011101110101 110010010111100101 0100010100011111001 00101011011011111 011011101011101 110101000100101 10010101010111 1001101011100101 1101110010101 10011001100011 111011011010111 01011010110100101 1100100111110101 0111001011110111 1111001001110101 101001001010010111 00111101010011101 11111001111110101 1001001111010101 1111011011110111 0111001010100100 1111110111101 1011010100101 1000010100111
- Amount of stanzas: 9
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 202
- Average number of words per stanza: 39
- Amount of lines: 27
- Average number of symbols per line: 67 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 13
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; we, to, and, empire, ours, from, of, pines are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words to, ours are repeated.
The author used the same word we at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Pines;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.