This is an analysis of the poem The Passing Of The Year that begins with:
My glass is filled, my pipe is lit,
My den is all a cosy glow;...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababacac dbdbbebe fafaebeb agagXhah dcdcefef afafebeb ibbbbibi
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,8,8,8,8,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: shakespearean sonnet
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 11011101 11010101 110101011 11010111 11010101 01110101 01010101 01010101 11010101 11011101 01010101 01010111 11011101 11010101 11110111 11110001 11110101 111110001 11011101 00111111 00110101 11010101 11111111 11011101 11110111 11110001 1110111 11111111 110100100 11011101 11011100 11101101 11110001 11101101 11000101 11010101 11011101 11010101 11010101 11100101 11010111 01011111 11010101 11110001 11011101 11111111 01110101 11010101 11011101 110011101 11010111 11010101 11010111 11011111 11111101 11111101
- Amount of stanzas: 7
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 291
- Average number of words per stanza: 53
- Amount of lines: 56
- Average number of symbols per line: 36 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The speaker asks many questions. Perhaps, he or she is in confusion.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; my, your, so, what, and, some, you are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words my, and, is, what, some are repeated.
The author used the same word and at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase i connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Passing Of The Year;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.