This is an analysis of the poem The Parson's Son that begins with:
This is the song of the parson's son, as he squats in his shack alone,
On the wild, weird nights, when the Northern Lights shoot up from the...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aaa bbcc aadd eeff cccc XXaa ccgg cchh iicc ggcc eedXXaaa
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 3,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,8,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 00010010111100101 10111101011100101 10100111001010101 10100101010111101 11001111110111101 110100010111011001 110111010111110101 101110111111111 11101111110111001 11010010111111101 01010011111001011 101001001001010101 110001111111111001 0101010101110101 00101101101111011 1001011010111101101 111110110001111001 11001110111011001 0111110101011111 101101110011001101 11110111010101001 110110101010011001 111010100101101 1011011011011011101 0111001011101001 111011001011110101 11101011011101101 100111111001101 11110101111111001 0111111011101101 11111001010011111 100000111000101 1001010100111 10010011100101 1000011100101 101111101100101 111010101110101 011110101111101 010110101111101 1111100100101001 1011011101101101 1110100111111101 11011010100111 01010010111100101 101011101101011101 10101001000111101
- Amount of stanzas: 12
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 276
- Average number of words per stanza: 53
- Amount of lines: 46
- Average number of symbols per line: 71 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 14
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; i've, its, my, and, with, to, in, i, i'll, morrow, you are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word i've is repeated.
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase old connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Parson's Son;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.