This is an analysis of the poem Mactavish that begins with:
I do not write for love of pelf,
Nor lust for phantom fame;...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: XaXabcbc aXadeXec bfbfgcgc XhXhaXac ijijidid
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,8,8,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 11111101 111101 11110111 110101 11010011 1111010 01010101 010 11010101 0101010 11010111 0100110 11010111 1111110 11010111 010 10011101 111101 11110101 110101 11011101 0100110 11110101 010 11110110 1111010 11010101 1110010 11010111 1011110 01111101 010 01110101 1111110 01011111 0111010 11111111 1011010 11111111 01010
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 231
- Average number of words per stanza: 45
- Amount of lines: 40
- Average number of symbols per line: 28 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, you are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words who, and are repeated.
The poet repeated the same word mactavish at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Mactavish;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.