This is an analysis of the poem Expectation that begins with:
My flask of wine was ruby red
And swift I ran my sweet to see;...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abaXab ababab abababXababab
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 6,6,13,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: limerick
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 11011101 11111101 01110111 1010101110 01110101 11110101 11011111 11010101 11110101 11010101 11010111 00110101 11110101 01010101 01010101 010100101 11111111 11110101 01110101 111100101 11011101 11010101 11010101 11010101
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 203
- Average number of words per stanza: 41
- Amount of lines: 24
- Average number of symbols per line: 33 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; i, on, her are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word i is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Expectation;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.