This is an analysis of the poem To Ottilie that begins with:
YOU remember, I suppose,
How the August sun arose,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabXcb cccddc
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 6,6,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1010101 1010101 1101 1011100 1010101 0101 0010101 1011111 1111 1011101 1110101 0101
- Amount of stanzas: 2
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 149
- Average number of words per stanza: 27
- Amount of lines: 12
- Average number of symbols per line: 24 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 5
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word and is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of To Ottilie;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Robert Louis Stevenson
- Analysis of Thou Strainest Through The Mountain Fern
- Analysis of Fixed Is The Doom
- Analysis of To Minnie