This is an analysis of the poem The Dumb Soldier that begins with:
When the grass was closely mown,
Walking on the lawn alone,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: Xabb ccdd eeaa aaff fXgg hhii eecc bbaa eejj
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1011101 1010101 0010111 11010101 01110101 1011101 1011011 10011011 1010111 1010101 1011101 0011001 1010111 1010101 1010101 1111101 1111101 1111100 1111111 1111101 1110101 00101001 1011111 1111101 11101010 10100010 1010111 0010001 0010111 1011101 1010111 10111101 1010101 1010111 1111101 1110111
- Amount of stanzas: 9
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 118
- Average number of words per stanza: 24
- Amount of lines: 36
- Average number of symbols per line: 29 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; when, i, find are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words grasses, when, i, and, in, not are repeated.
The author used the same word he at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Dumb Soldier;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.