This is an analysis of the poem Shadow March that begins with:
All around the house is the jet-black night;
It stares through the window-pane; ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aXab bcbc dede
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 1010100111 0110101 01001010001 10100101 111011010101 0010010011 11010101010111 111001101 01100100011001 0110011101 10101110111 0011101
- Amount of stanzas: 3
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 177
- Average number of words per stanza: 33
- Amount of lines: 12
- Average number of symbols per line: 44 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; it, and, of, tramp, shadow are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words it, and, the are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Shadow March;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.