This is an analysis of the poem Ad Se Ipsum that begins with:
DEAR sir, good-morrow! Five years back,
When you first girded for this arduous track,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aaXXbbcc
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 11010101 11110101001 11010010010 0101001101 1111010101 1011111111 1100101111 01110011101
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 341
- Average number of words per stanza: 58
- Amount of lines: 8
- Average number of symbols per line: 42 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Ad Se Ipsum;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Robert Louis Stevenson
- Analysis of The Land Of Story-Books
- Analysis of Away With Funeral Music
- Analysis of The Unseen Playmate