This is an analysis of the poem Tough Men that begins with:
Of all the saints within my ken
(Of them I hardly know enough), ...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ab a b c X c b Xd cd ec ec d cd c X c fc f ad ad a aa a eXe X
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 2,1,1,1,1,1,1,2,2,2,2,1,2,1,1,1,2,1,2,2,1,2,1,3,1,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: enclosed rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 01010111 00110101 11111101 11011101 01011101 1111010111 11010101 11011111 01000100 01010101 11011001 01010101 01111101 01000101 01000101 01010100 010010101 11011101 01010001 11010110 01100 01010101 010111101 11011101 01010101 11111101 01011101 01011101 110100101 11110111 11010101 11110101 01011111 11010111 1111100101 011100101 110111000
- Amount of stanzas: 25
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 50
- Average number of words per stanza: 10
- Amount of lines: 38
- Average number of symbols per line: 34 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; man, and, to are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words of, the, a are repeated.
The author used the same word a at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Tough Men;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.