This is an analysis of the poem Be Merciful To The Horse that begins with:
Do the beasts of burden that strive and groan
And writhe and crouch 'neath the pitiless rod ...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ab ab Xc Xc X d Xd
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 2,2,2,2,1,1,2,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 1010101111 1111101001 1110010111 111110101 111101101 01001101001 11111001101 110101100 111010101 010110101 111110111 1110100101
- Amount of stanzas: 7
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 73
- Average number of words per stanza: 14
- Amount of lines: 12
- Average number of symbols per line: 43 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Be Merciful To The Horse;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.