This is an analysis of the poem Loving Henry that begins with:
Henry, Henry, do you love me?
Do I love you, Mary?...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: Abaabccb Abccbaab abddbeeb
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 10101111 111110 11110101 00101 1111110 0101 1101 101100 10101111 111110 11011101 1101 0011010 0101 10111 1011010 101011111 101110 11010111 1111 0101010 1111 1111 1111110
- Amount of stanzas: 3
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 191
- Average number of words per stanza: 39
- Amount of lines: 24
- Average number of symbols per line: 23 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 5
Mood of the speaker:
The speaker asks many questions. Perhaps, he or she is in confusion.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; you, and, so are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word so is repeated.
The author used the same word henry at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Loving Henry;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Robert Graves
- Analysis of Knowledge Of God
- Analysis of Vain And Careless
- Analysis of I Wonder What It Feels Like To Be Drowned?