THOU, who thy honour as thy God rever'st,
Who, save thy mind's reproach, nought earthly fear'st,
To thee this votive offering I impart,
The tearful tribute of a broken heart.
The Friend thou valued'st, I, the Patron lov'd;
His worth, his honour, all the world approved:
We'll mourn till we too go as he has gone,
And tread the shadowy path to that dark world unknown.
More verses by Robert Burns
- 233. Song—O were I on Parnassus Hill
- 381. Song—Fragment—No cold approach
- 523. Song—The Cooper o' Cuddy
- 329. Verses on the destruction of the Woods near Drumlanrig
- Epigram—Divine Service at Lamington