This is an analysis of the poem The Song Of Death that begins with:
FAREWELL, thou fair day, thou green earth, and ye skies,
Now gay with the broad setting sun;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababcdcd efefadad
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 11111111111 11001101 11111011101 11001001 11101011101 11001011 11001011011 11011001 11011011001 111001001 11011001001 11001001 001011011011 11111001 11001111101 11111001
- Amount of stanzas: 2
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 346
- Average number of words per stanza: 65
- Amount of lines: 17
- Average number of symbols per line: 40 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; thou, our, in are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word go is repeated.
The poet repeated the same word brave at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Song Of Death;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.