This is an analysis of the poem Death And Dying Words Of Poor Mailie, The that begins with:
The Author's Only Pet Yowe
An Unco Mournfu' Tale ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: X a Xbccdd eefgXX hhii jjiiaaXX Xkll eeaXkk hhaaXeff iigglXXX mmjXaX XXXX aabXXff
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 1,1,6,6,4,8,4,6,8,8,6,4,7,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 0101011 110101 11101100 1111001010 01011101 11110001 11010101 11011101 11011101 11010111 110101110 111111110 11011101 1111101 101101001 01011101 11010101 11001101 1010100111 11011101 11110101 11011111 11010111 11010110 11010111 01111111 101110101 11110111 111101111 110111011 101111101 11111101 11011111 11010110 110101011 11111111 101110101 01011001 01111111 11111111 11111110 110011101 11010111 11110111 101111111 11111111 10110001 01110001 11111101 011011011 11011101 1101001010 10111101 11110101 11111001 11010111 11110111 11110110 101111111 11110111 111110110 100101100 101010101 01110111 11110110 1111111100 0111101 11011001
- Amount of stanzas: 14
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 178
- Average number of words per stanza: 34
- Amount of lines: 68
- Average number of symbols per line: 36 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; she, them, an', him, my, wi', to are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word an' is repeated.
The author used the same word tell at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines him is repeated).
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Death And Dying Words Of Poor Mailie, The;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Robert Burns
- Analysis of Epitaph On Holy Willie
- Analysis of Up In The Morning Early
- Analysis of Auld Farmer's New-Year-Morning