This is an analysis of the poem Degrees Of Gray In Philipsburg that begins with:
You might come here Sunday on a whim.
Say your life broke down. The last good kiss...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abbcXcdef Xcdcghccchfbf bhccafccXg XbfXXcXegd
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 9,13,10,10,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 111111101 111110101 1110011111 111001101 11011100101 010100010111 101011101 1101010100 0110110111 0100010101 0110001001 010110001 0101010111 11111110 10111110101 011110101 0111101 1100010101 010101110101 11110101 111011001 11001111001 000111101 11011100001 1100011101 0101011111 11010110100 1101000101 1110011 010010111 01010111 0101110101 1101001110 1011111 110101111 1111011111 1111110010 01111111 0101110 110101010 1011111 0101011101
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 424
- Average number of words per stanza: 78
- Amount of lines: 42
- Average number of symbols per line: 39 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; you is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word the is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Degrees Of Gray In Philipsburg;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.