This is an analysis of the poem To―― that begins with:
What a lonely little corpse our love is lying,
Very cold, and very still, and very-drear !... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aXabbacca
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 9,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 101010111010 10111011101 1110010111010 111010010101 11111110101 111110101110 1110101 1011101 101001101110
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 402
- Average number of words per stanza: 74
- Amount of lines: 9
- Average number of symbols per line: 44 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The speaker asks many questions. Perhaps, he or she is in confusion.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; very, and are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word have is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of To――;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.