This is an analysis of the poem Leave This that begins with:
Leave this chanting and singing and telling of beads!
Whom dost thou worship in this lonely dark corner of a temple with doors all shut? ...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abX cadbX ecXd ecX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 3,5,4,3,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: rondeau
- Metre: 101011011001 11110001011000100111 1011111101011 1011010010011 1101000101 1000011010 101001001 1111010110111110101 0100 1000100001 11001110010011010010 101011110 110110101101110101 1101011011011 11111101101011
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 198
- Average number of words per stanza: 38
- Amount of lines: 15
- Average number of symbols per line: 52 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 10
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The speaker asks many questions. Perhaps, he or she is in confusion.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Leave This;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.