This is an analysis of the poem The Warrior's Prayer that begins with:
Long since, in sore distress, I heard one pray,
'Lord, who prevailest with resistless might,...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abaX XbaB abaB cbcB dbdB ebeb
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: trochaic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: limerick
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1101011111 1110001001 1001111101 1101 111011010 1011010101 1110010101 1101 1111111101 1101010011 1101111111 1101 1101111111 1101100101 1101011101 1101 1111110101 1111011111 1111111101 1101 1111000101 1101110111 1110011111 1001
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 149
- Average number of words per stanza: 30
- Amount of lines: 24
- Average number of symbols per line: 37 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; me is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word still is repeated.
The author used the same word i at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The poet repeated the same word fight at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Warrior's Prayer;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.