This is an analysis of the poem The Landing that begins with:
THE great ship lantern-girdled.
The tender standing by;...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: XabX bXXX cdaeX XfXf XbXb XgXg fXXX ecfc XXXX Xdfd Xfef XaXa
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,5,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: no rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 0111010 010101 0101110 011110 1110111 1111100 10110010 111111 111 1011 011001 0001010 011100 1101110 0110101 11011100 1011101 1101010 011101 11101110 1110101 11010100 1111101 10110010 11100101 1111110 101010 11111100 1000111 1111010 110111 0100010 010101 1111011 10101 1111001 1100110 0111010 010101 0111110 110101 0101010 110111 0111110 1111101 11010100 010111 1111010 110101
- Amount of stanzas: 12
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 118
- Average number of words per stanza: 23
- Amount of lines: 49
- Average number of symbols per line: 28 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, ' are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words the, one, and are repeated.
The author used the same word where at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines ' is repeated).
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Landing;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.