This is an analysis of the poem Helas! that begins with:
To drift with every passion till my soul
Is a stringed lute on which all winds can play, ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abbaaXXacdccdd
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 14,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: enclosed rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: sonnet with iambic pentameter or irregular meter
- Metre: 01010010111 0011111111 00101111001 1101010101 1011001101 1101110101 0101111100 1111010001 1011011111 0111101100 1111010101 0111100101 1011010001 1111010100
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 595
- Average number of words per stanza: 113
- Amount of lines: 14
- Average number of symbols per line: 42 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The speaker asks many questions. Perhaps, he or she is in confusion.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Helas!;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.