This is an analysis of the poem A Good Time Going! that begins with:
BRAVE singer of the coming time,
Sweet minstrel of the joyous present,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababcccc cdcdeaXa cbcbfcfc ebebgggX hXhcbcbc ididjdjd gkgkcccc gjgjflfl
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 11000101 110001001 10010101 0101010010 01011111 110101010 11001111 010101010 101111101 0101010010 01011111 010101010 01010001 0101010101 01110111 0100111011 01010101 110101010 01010101 1010101010 11110101 11001001110 11010101 111111010 110010101 110101010 11010101 110101010 11000111 110001110 11010101 111111110 01110101 111101100 011101011 010111010 11110001 110011010 11011101 010101010 10010101 011101010 01010101 010111010 010111001 1101000010 11110101 110101110 01110111 110101111 11010011 100111011 1000100101 0100101010 01011101 010101010 01010101 1010101110 11110101 010101110 01111101 010101110 11011111 110111010
- Amount of stanzas: 8
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 304
- Average number of words per stanza: 54
- Amount of lines: 64
- Average number of symbols per line: 37 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of, and are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words the, and are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of A Good Time Going!;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Oliver Wendell Holmes
- Analysis of A Noontide Lyric
- Analysis of A Memorial Tribute
- Analysis of A Poem. Dedication Of The Pittsfield Cemetery