This is an analysis of the poem A Birthday Tribute that begins with:
TO J. F. CLARKE
WHO is the shepherd sent to lead,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: X abXb caXa cdcd efeX dgdg dhXh icic ffff X
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 1,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,1,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 0111 10010101 11010101 11010010 01011111 11010101 010100101 01011101 01011101 10110101 11110101 11110111 11000101 11110101 11110101 11111111 110010101 11010101 11110101 11010101 11011101 11010111 01110001 110110110 01111101 01110111 01110101 111100001 101100101 111100101 11011101 111001101 11111111 1011
- Amount of stanzas: 10
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 122
- Average number of words per stanza: 22
- Amount of lines: 34
- Average number of symbols per line: 35 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; who, their, our are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words not, who, our are repeated.
The author used the same word who at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of A Birthday Tribute;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.