This is an analysis of the poem Only Serpents that begins with:
Only serpents let their skin be fallen
And a soul - all grown up and old....
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abcb dcdX eaea fbgb bbgX hdhg ijif Xdkb lglj khkh amam
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1010111010 10111111 101110101 101000101 101010110 1010110010 101111101 111110011 0111101110 101000101 1010101010 111110101 101110101 1001111101 101110101 101100101 111100111 00100111 111110011 01000111 1110100010 111010111 1011101010 1011001 0010101010 10010010001 1111101010 10101101 1011101010 101011101 101010001 101010101 10110101 101010111 001010101 1010001001 10110001 101110101 101010101 111010101 101110111 10111001 1011111010 10101101
- Amount of stanzas: 11
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 151
- Average number of words per stanza: 29
- Amount of lines: 44
- Average number of symbols per line: 37 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words you, what are repeated.
The author used the same word i at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Only Serpents;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.